On January 1, 2016 the Building Stone Institute (BSI) entered into a 2 year Joint Venture agreement with the Marble Institute of America (MIA). During this 2 year trial consolidation period, we will be known as “MIA+BSI – the Natural Stone Institute”. View this informational Orientation of Combined Benefits to learn more about how this consolidation benefits our members, the industry and the specifying communities we serve.
Building Stone Institute membership offers the following benefits:
Building Stone Institute’s most valuable benefit is our status as a continuing education provider to architects, landscape architects and other industry associates. Registered with the AIA, BSI’s DES programs cover every aspect of the natural stone industry and range from 1 hour, member hosted courses, to full-day, multi-credit events. BS assists in developing member’s own DES programs and handles all AIA credit filing for the member instructors. Use of this complimentary BSI member benefit eliminates the need for pursuing individual AIA provider status – a savings nearly equal the cost of the member’s BSI membership dues!
Strong education programs and the best opportunity for members to network with other members in a relaxed and fun setting. Seminars cover relevant, and often “hot topics” crucial to sustaining the natural stone industry and the businesses that comprise it. Industry experts and respected BSI member companies routinely participate as credible speakers.
Hosted annually in locations throughout North America by BSI member companies, this unique opportunity allows attendees to see first-hand how other BSI members run their facilities. Expect hands-on education, site visits, and great networking opportunities to provide some of the best education available in the industry.
The greatest benefits of your BSI membership are realized through participation. Learn more about our committees whose work serves the unique aspects of our industry needs. Join BSI and get involved today!
Building Stone Magazine is proudly sponsored by the BSI through a partnership with the publishers of two other respected, industry periodicals -Stone World and Contemporary Stone & Tile Design magazines.Building Stone Magazine exploits the beauty, durability and versatility of natural stone through stunning photography and meaningful editorial. We portray unique, lasting and often resourceful installations of natural stone interiors, exteriors, landscapes and more. The bi-annual publication includes feature articles directed at architects, landscape architects, and restoration professionals promoting the increasingly desired benefits of natural stone in our built environment Editorial focused on meaningful and highly desired stone awareness, education and resources connects BSI members stone experts – with a target audience eagerly in need of the knowledge. With complimentary mailings to our membership, the magazine also reaches nearly 8,000 members of the design community. Print and online versions offer creative and effective advertising opportunities for members and others associated with the natural stone industry. View the digital edition online here.
Building Stone Institute’s annual member directory is now a combined publication with our annual Buyers’ Guide. This source of natural stone knowledge, information, products and services is distributed to all Building Stone Magazine recipients, BSI members and is globally accessible online. All BSI members receive a free basic listing, but enhanced listings and both print and online advertising options are available for premium positioning.
Tucker Design Awards & Bybee Prize
A highly regarded and prestigious architectural award, the Tucker Design Awards honors those who have achieved excellence in the use of natural stone in their building or landscape design. This biennial awards event traditionally includes an inspiring architectural tour held the day before the event highlighting the host cities most revered and enduring stone structures. The Bybee Prize is presented to an individual architect or landscape architect for a body of work executed over time that is distinguished by outstanding design and use of natural stone.
www.buildingstoneinstitute.org is an evolving natural stone resource for our members, the design community and the end-user. We share BSI news, promote and highlight events and post archives of BSI newsletters and magazine. Find downloads for technical resources, including answers to FAQs, and links to the latest sustainability data, best practices on installation, care and maintenance and restoration. The site also features a comprehensive online Buyers’ Guide providing another source to promote member companies and the products they sell in addition to a full, searchable membership directory. BSI strives to connect members and their customers with other industry organizations, as well as, to information resources for education, sourcing and problem-solving needs.
A quarterly e-Newsletter is published for our members packed with organization news, industry updates and BSI event highlights. Stay up-to-date on the BSI organization, the industry, and the people in it. Click here to view current and archived issues of the quarterly e-Newsletter. Member submissions and advertisements are encouraged!
After joining BSI, become part of our member referral base and respond to varied requests on sourcing, installing, or restoring natural stone. These relationships often lead to new business.
Freight Discount Program
As a participant in the Marble Institute of America’s freight discount program, BSI member enrollment results in savings up to 31% off on FedEx letter shipments, 26% off Fedex pak shipments, and 64% off LTL shipments from participating carriers. Enroll for free online www.PartnerShip.com/27MIA
Membership Dues Payment Plan
Enroll in our convenient dues installment program. BSI will automatically process 4 quarterly payments of $250, contact BSI to arrange.
BSI is strengthening our industry partnerships to broaden exposure, education, resources, and other opportunities for our members.
- Active Membership – those deriving any portion of their livelihood from the stone industry by quarrying, fabricating, contracting, distributing, reselling, setting, or installing natural stone shall be eligible for Active Membership. Minimum one year business existence required.
• US and Canada $1000 per firm • International $1300 per firm
- Second Location Membership – any additional locations, branches, outlets or subsidiary operations of an Active Membership.
• $200 per location
- Associate Membership – those engaged in the design, manufacture, distribution or sale of machinery, equipment, tools, appliances, services or related accessories for or used by the natural stone industry, shall be eligible for Associate Membership. Associate members do not necessarily derive their livelihood entirely from natural stone. Other natural stone industry or affiliated industry associations may also apply for Associate Membership.
• $250 per firm
- Professional Membership – those individuals who are registered architects, professional designers, engineers, artisans and/or any other professional occupation the board of directors determines to fit this classification who have an interest in the natural stone industry are eligible for Professional Membership.
• $200 per individual
- Architectural Design Student – those individuals who are actively enrolled in an educational program of architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, or similar professional discipline through an accredited institution. Proof of current enrollment is required.
• $25 per individual
- Honorary Membership – granted to any person, partnership, corporation, or other party who has distinguished themselves by unusual service to the natural stone industry, or who has performed an act or acts of exceptional influence or merit for the benefit of the natural stone industry and furthering the promotion and use of natural stone.
- Retired Membership – those individuals who have completed a minimum of 10 years of service in any membership classification or any combination of classifications, without age requirement, may apply for Retired Membership in the most recent classification. A Retired Member shall have all the privileges of the Institute afforded that classification, with the exception of holding office.
MCAA will extend full membership rights to non mason contractor/installer BSI members at a 50% discount within one of these two member levels.
National Associate Membership is for masonry industry suppliers who do business regionally or nationally. $1,000 annual dues (a $2,000 value)
Regional Associate Membership is for masonry industry suppliers that have an operating business radius between 250 – 1000 miles and have two or more plants. $ 450 annual dues (a $950 value)
MCAA members: contact BSI for to learn more about your 50% membership discount. Scroll up to read more about what BSI can offer you!
- Direct connection to this mason-installer contractor community
- Use of the MCAA member list Discount on advertising (both online and in Masonry magazine)
- A profile in their “Find a Mason Contractor” online search feature with over 1 million visits annually.
- Members-only access to OSHA, safety library, business resources and more online
- Discounts on all Association publications, materials, and registration to all MCAA events, including the MCAA Convention
- Technical support and assistance provided by the MCAA
- Access to the MCAA’s Washington office to assist in resolving issues when confronted with federal agencies
- A subscription to Masonry magazine
- A subscription to the MCAA’s e-mail newsletter Masonry Messenger
Additionally, the MCAA Marketplace will offer enrolled BSI members access to 40+ business service programs specifically designed to reduce costs and increase profitability. The MCAA Marketplace offers savings on payroll processing, office supplies, wireless services, industrial supplies, and more. Joint membership with MCAA has rewards for BSI members that BSI simply is unable to provide on our own. Don’t just be in the masonry industry, be a part of the industry!
Click here to enroll. Just note your BSI membership status to qualify for the discount.